Longwood Primary Academy is Place2Be's National Primary Community of 2019 and 2020
What difference does Place2Be make in your child's school?
Place2Be is a national charity working in over 200 UK schools to improve the confidence and emotional wellbeing of children. We help children feel better about themselves and when children feel better about themselves, they are able to learn more easily and that means less worry for parents.
How we help children
Place2Be works with children one-to-one and in small groups, offering regular time-tabled support for those who will benefit most. All pupils can find help with friendship issues and other worries by choosing to visit Place2Talk. Short lunchtime sessions are open to individuals and to groups. We always obtain consent from parents or carers before working with children.
How we help families
We routinely meet with parents to discuss their worries about their children. A number of Place2Be schools also have A Place for Parents, offering adults support with any issues they may have.
How we help schools
Place2Be also supports teachers and school staff members to think through the emotional needs of children via Place2Think which helps the whole school to thrive.
How Place2Be works
There is a special Place2Be room inside the school where children can go to express and think about their worries, through talking, creative work and play. Trained adults called School Project Managers support this process, helping children to find new ways of coping with difficulties so they don't get in the way of friendships or learning.
Times when we're especially useful
There are times when children feel especially sad, confused, fearful or angry, due to family problems such as separation or illness, or even the death of a much-loved pet. Some may become withdrawn; others may become demanding or challenging in their behaviour: that's when having Place2Be in school is especially helpful.
Place2Talk - Self-referral service
- Lunchtime service for all children.
- Children self-refer by posting a slip in the P2B post box.
- 15 minute sessions with School Project Manager (SPM) for individuals or groups of children
Place2Think for teaching staff:
- Support for teachers and school staff to discuss any issues relating to children or referrals.
- Timetabled sessions or drop-in times as required.
Place for Parents
- Support for parents/carers. Referrals made through the School Project Manager are passed to a Parent Counsellor.
- 8 weekly sessions initially, but can be extended to up to a year.
- Sessions care usually held at this school.
Place2Be - Children:
- 1 to 1 sessions for individual children, by referral only, for an hour a week
- Referrals can be made by staff, parents or the children themselves.
- Duration = 1 to 3 terms. Children are collected and returned to class by Volunteer Counsellors (VCs).
- Written consent is required by parents and child before sessions start.
- Assessment/information is collected at the start and end of the therapy by using the Strength and Difficulties Questionnaires (SDQ's).
- Confidentiality - general themes relating to the child`s progress can be discussed with the SPM.
- However, specific details of the child`s work within the room is confidential unless the counsellor has concerns about the child's safety or the safety of anyone else around them. In this case, they will discuss this with the Place2Be School Project Manager who will then liaise with the appropriate school staff member.
- Groups of up to 8 children on themes as discussed and agreed with the School Management Team (e.g. transition, bullying, self-esteem).
- Usually held in the Spring/Summer terms.
Who is eligible for Place2Be?
Any child requiring emotional support for any reason.